Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:36:18 -0500
From:      Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd@sentinelchicken.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum and a BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

OK, I am installing vinum for the first time and have run into trouble.

Setup:

FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
2 WD 80GB IDE drives, ad0 and ad2

I used this page to help me through my setup:

http://org.netbase.org/vinum-mirrored.html

I have followed Case 2, which is a basic setup of one drive mirroring the
other (RAID-1 right?). I am not trying to mirror the root partition, and
have a minimal install on ad0s1a.

The setup hase gone just fine, but when I reboot, I get this:

[snip]
/dev/ad2s1e: BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/ad2s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
[snip]
/dev/ad0s1e: BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/ad0s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

At that point it goes in single user mode.

I've tried fooling with fstab and even reinstalling (new machine, no data
to be lost), but I keep getting the same problem. Could this be a problem
with my newfs usage:

newfs -v /dev/vinum/usr
newfs -v /dev/vinum/var
newfs -v /dev/vinum/public

Last thing; When I run vinum and issue the list command, it says everything
is 'up', including ad0s1e and ad2s1e.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

-Jason