Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:16:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sam Magee <webadmin@adsight.com>
To:        Matt Hamilton <matt@clintondale.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPSd and SmartUPS

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Matt Hamilton wrote:

> Hi All,
>   I have a SmratUPS 700 (110v) and I'm trying to get upsd to work with it.
> I'm pretty sure my serial ports are set up OK... I have nothing else to
> test them with.  I have both sio0 and sio1 in my kernel.
>  When I try and load UPSd it says that it can't put the UPS into smart
> mode.  I presume this means "I can't communicate with the UPS".
>   Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
>
> -Matt
>
> PS does anyone have a upsd.conf file for a 110v SmartUPS?

>   Matt Hamilton                                         Clintondale Aviation
>   matt@clintondale.com                            http://www.clintondale.com

I use a Smart-UPS/VS 650 which was hard to configure.  Even though
this isn't your model, maybe it'll help you or anyone else with
a VS series UPS.

# $Id: upsd.conf,v 2.0 1996/01/28 11:50:37 alexis Exp $
#
# UPS Daemon
# The Wild Wind Communications, 1995, 1996
#
# See file LICENSE for the distribution terms of this software.
#

ups "smart-ups-vs" (420) proto "apc-smart-vs" {
	device			"/dev/cuaa0"
	speed			2400
	read-timeout		2
	write-block-size	1
	write-block-delay	50
	queue-size		64
}

every 5 {
	poll "status"	# PowerChute does it so do we
}

on "initialize" != "SM" {
	poll "initialize"
	after 60 every 60 {
		log emerg "Cannot put the UPS into smart mode!"
	}
}

every 300 {			# poll the UPS
	poll "last-test"

	log info "last test: %last-test%"
}

on "line-fail" every 20 {
	log emerg "*** ALERT! Source power line failed, logout NOW! ***"
}

on "line-restore" {
	log emerg "Source power line restored, you may continue your work."
}

on "line-fail" after 60 {
	log emerg "*** ALERT! THE SYSTEM IS SHUTTING DOWN! ***"

	poll "shutdown"
	poll "shutdown"
	poll "power-test"
	poll "power-test"