Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:02:54 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building my own release

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 11:04:09PM -0500, William Denton wrote:
>I was having a hell of a time downloading ISO images of 4.8-RC1 or 5.0 to
>install on an old machine I just got--they'd freeze, no matter what mirror
>I used--so I thought I'd try making my own release and ISO images.  I
>could compile everything here, burn a CD, and I'd be all set.

You might find it easier to install the machine from an old CD-ROM
and the use installworld on an NFS mounted /usr/{src,obj}.

>I read release (7), and looked the examples, but I'm still not sure what
>to do.  I used the sample cvs-supfile to download all the CVS files, but
>then I got stuck.  The release man page says this was used to build
>4.5-RELEASE:
>
>           cd /usr
>           cvs co -rRELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE src

Use "cvs co -rRELENG_4 src" for -STABLE.  Leave off "-r" for -CURRENT.  If
you don't have CVSROOT defined, you'll need
	cvs -d /your/cvsroot -R co -rRELENG_4 -P src
The '-R' is optional but will make it run much faster (it disables the
repository locking) and '-P' will remove empty directories.  Note that
this step will over-write your /usr/src - pick a different parent
directory (the cd above) if you want to preserve an existing /usr/src.

>           cd src
>           make buildworld
>           cd release
>           make release CHROOTDIR=/local3/release BUILDNAME=4.5-RELEASE \
>             CVSROOT=/host/cvs/usr/home/ncvs RELEASETAG=RELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE

For -STABLE, this should be:
	make release CHROOTDIR=/somewhere/with/lots/of/space \
		BUILDNAME=4.8-PRERELEASE \
		CVSROOT=/your/cvsroot \
		RELEASETAG=RELENG_4

That all looks reasonably correct (though I haven't used it for a while).

Peter