Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 06:17:29 +0500
From:      potter@bev.net (Mark Potter)
To:        Jason Murbach <jason@joshjr.MATH.ORST.EDU>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Future Domain TMC-850MER SCSI Controller

>I'm having problems getting the NetBSD 2.0 release boot/install disk to
>recognize my Future Domain SCSI card. I boot with /kernel -c and change the
>IRQ and IO for sea0 to the proper settings (5, 0xca000). When I exit the
>kernel configuration, FreeBSD goes through all the devices, and when it comes
>to sea0, it just says it doesn't detect anything. Any and all help would be
>apprectiated...

I to have a Future Domain 850, and I running FreeBSD 2.0.  I to experienced
problems with FreeBSD not recognizing the device on boot up.  Upon examining
the source code seagate.c I found the problem.  It seams that the device
driver tries to detect which board type (Seagate or Future Domain) by
looking for the copyright message in the boot ROM (the two have different
offsets to the control registers).  I don't have a boot ROM on my card.

Assuming this is also your problem, the first solution I have is to go into
seagate.c and patch it so that it will just assume that you have a Future
Domain and rebuild the kernel.  I did so and have run well for many months
(actually since v1.1.5.1).  The only problem is if you don't have the Future
Domain controller in place, boot up will take a long time as it waits for
the device to time out.  I might still have that patch here somewhere, but
I'd have to look.

The second solution still involves a kernel rebuild.  Last week I noticed
that there had been a change in the FreeBSD-current's source for the
seagate.c device driver.  Upon looking at it I found the method of device
identification had been completely change (no longer requiring the ROM
copyright message).  I dropped it into place with the v2.0 source and
recompiled.  It compiled and worked without a hitch.  The date on the file
is 3/9 which would have been the day I downloaded it, in case there have
been some changes since.