Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:05:29 -0600
From:      Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
To:        Mystiq <mystiq@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking Question

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 10:12:15PM -0500, Mystiq wrote:
--> Currently, im using WinGate, Win9x proxy software, to route my cable
--> modem between 3 other computers. Someone mentioned, after i complained
--> WinGate blocking certain ports (specifically ping), that Free BSD would
--> also do the trick.

I hope you have a current version, the older versions had big security holes.

--> I went on IRC a few days later, and was told it was really hard to set
--> up. I haven't installed it yet, partly because it refuses to recognize
--> either of my server's two NICs, a 3Com Etherlink III and Intel
--> EtherExpress Pro 10. I've never used any unix-os, and was just wondering
--> if I would be able to use any port as if each machine was directly
--> connected to the internet, and if it is hard to set up?

I am using FreeBSD as my gateway to the internet via cable modem. I am using old
66mhz 486 with two 3Com 3c509s. This machine is my gateway and allows my FreeBSD
machine and my wifes win 95 machine to access the net simultaneously and safely.
This is not a 20 minute install a new program in windows exercise. You will be
installing a complete new operating system with a tremendous amount of
functionality (e.g. you don't need a third party package like wingate as natd
is built in). That said, it could take you a weekend to weeks to get what you
want depending on your current computer skills and the amount of homework you
do before you start. You can install FreeBSD of the internet after downloading
two floppy images. No cd roms are needed.

All is explained at www.freebsd.org

You should read the handbook, the faq and the freebsd diary (specific instructions
on cable modems as well as other basic lessons).  You can do the same thing with
Linux, with a little more work and a similar level of difficulty.

You dont mention your cable service, there are newsgroups and vendor specific
web sites for roadrunner and @home.

--
When I was a kid I had to rub sticks together to multiply and divide numbers.
A calculator was a job description.