Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:30:08 -0500
From:      "J. Maynard Gelinas" <mgelinas@bbn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIS client support in FreeBSD-3.3

   Hello folks,
   I just installed a FreeBSD-3.3 host and have networking up, ypbind running
with an appropriate domainname set, and I can ypcat out all of my NIS maps
without a problem. However, I'm finding it difficult to configure my host to
perform NIS client lookups for login requests.

   I note that according to the man nis I'm supposed to use the traditional
"+" tokens in each various /etc configuration file in order to facilitate the
inclusion of each respective NIS map, however vipw won't allow me to include a
basic token such as:

in the password map. It just complains about a garbled entry and won't build
write the password file. I've poked around www.freebsd.org and looked for
documentation for NIS configuration but I don't see any. Can someone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks,
--Maynard