Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:29:55 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd@sentinelchicken.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum and a BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

On Thursday,  5 December 2002 at 19:36:18 -0500, Jason Morgan wrote:
> OK, I am installing vinum for the first time and have run into trouble.
>
> Setup:
>
> FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
> 2 WD 80GB IDE drives, ad0 and ad2
>
> I used this page to help me through my setup:
>
> http://org.netbase.org/vinum-mirrored.html
>
> I have followed Case 2, which is a basic setup of one drive mirroring the
> other (RAID-1 right?). I am not trying to mirror the root partition, and
> have a minimal install on ad0s1a.
>
> The setup hase gone just fine, but when I reboot, I get this:
>
> [snip]
> /dev/ad2s1e: BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
> /dev/ad2s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
> [snip]
> /dev/ad0s1e: BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
> /dev/ad0s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>
> At that point it goes in single user mode.

OK, this looks like a problem with the howto.  After you put a Vinum
drive on the slices, you no longer have a file system.  You need to
remove the entries for these slices in /etc/fstab and replace them
with entries for the Vinum volumes.  The howto tells you to add the
entries for the Vinum volumes, but not to remove the old ones.

> I've tried fooling with fstab and even reinstalling (new machine, no
> data to be lost), but I keep getting the same problem. Could this be
> a problem with my newfs usage:
>
> newfs -v /dev/vinum/usr
> newfs -v /dev/vinum/var
> newfs -v /dev/vinum/public

That looks OK.

> Last thing; When I run vinum and issue the list command, it says
> everything is 'up', including ad0s1e and ad2s1e.

Vinum doesn't say that ad0s1e and ad2s1e are up.  It's the drives
located on those slices which are up.

Greg