Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 19:29:29 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@ubiq.veda.is>
To:        rkw@dataplex.NET (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questionable decision

>In order to save space, etc., the termcap in /etc was replaced by a
>symbolic link to /usr/share ...

>Since /usr/share is a prime candidate for nfs, I mounted it from another machine

>If the mount goes as expected, everything is great.
>But what if eel is down?
>Now login doesn't want to let me in because it cannot recognize by terminal :-(

>I have copied termcap from shared storage to /etc. IMHO, since login
>requires the file, it is a REQUIRED configuration file. Therefore it should
>be in the required configuration area, /etc.

Have you tried mounting /usr/share/misc/termcap on top of a minimal /etc/termcap
file using options soft,union ? This would do what you expect, if union mounting
applies also to regular files and if soft,union implies that the underlying
filesystem is accessed if the union-mounted layer fails due to a hanging server.
This requires specifying the -r flag to mountd on the server machine.

If it doesn't work, why not? and why shouldn't it work?

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>