Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:18:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        ewb@zns.net (Will Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

Will Brown wrote:
| FYI: The exploit fails on Solaris 2.5. Works on FreeBSD 2.1.5.  On
| Solaris, /tmp/sh is created (r-sr-sr--) but executing it does not give
| root privilege. Assume this is due to restrictions in Solaris on
| executing setuid root programs outside of certain directories? Perhaps
| that defense can be easily overcome, or is it a good last line of
| defense? Why not a similar defense in FreeBSD?

	I think theres code in the shipped solaris shells that causes
them to switch uid back to that of the invoker when they are setuid.

	This is a slick defense against exploit scripts, but it
doesn't take that much to work around it.  My prefered method is to
use a tcsh binary that doesn't have the defence instead of /bin/sh.

	On another note, how about qmail replacing sendmail?

Adam

					               -Hume