Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 02:06:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: syslogd can't create /dev/log?

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Brian Tao wrote:

>     Here's another odd problem with 2.2-960501-SNAP... I can't seem to
> get syslogd to run:

    Someone shoot me or pass the dunce cap or something... chalk this
one up to operator error.  :(

> syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: Address already in use

    Of course, syslogd creates the /dev/log socket when it starts up,
and destroys it when it shuts down.  /dev/log has been hanging around
because /dev here is flagged sappnd.  kern.securelevel is at 1, so I
can't remove sappnd without dropping into single user first.  Argh!

    I didn't think anything had to be deleted out of /dev... wouldn't
/dev/log be better off in /var/run or something like that?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.