Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:11:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        mystiq@optonline.net (Mystiq)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking Question

Mystiq wrote,
> Currently, im using WinGate, Win9x proxy software, to route my cable
> modem between 3 other computers. Someone mentioned, after i complained
> WinGate blocking certain ports (specifically ping), that Free BSD would
> also do the trick.

You do not want to block ICMP? OK, your net.

> I went on IRC a few days later, and was told it was really hard to set
> up.

Depends what you want to do. If you are basically setting up a gateway
machine, it is not 'really hard.'

> I haven't installed it yet, partly because it refuses to recognize
> either of my server's two NICs, a 3Com Etherlink III and Intel
> EtherExpress Pro 10.

From 'http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install:nics.html,' a listing of
supported Ethernet cards,

	  Intel EtherExpress
	  Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B 100Mbit.
	  .
	  .
	  .
	  3Com 3C590, 3C595 Etherlink III

What do you mean by 'it' refused to recoginze them? What are you
booting?

> I've never used any unix-os, and was just wondering
> if I would be able to use any port as if each machine was directly
> connected to the internet, and if it is hard to set up?

Never used UNIX? OK, it's not gonna be 'really hard,' but it probably
will not be really easy either. If you are interested in learning
networking, you are going to have to learn some UNIX eventually.

And yes, it would be no problem to allow _all_ packets through your
gateway no matter what port destination.