Date:      29 Jan 2002 12:18:06 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any ideas on FreeBSD related CIS project?

j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:

> I need a little help choosing a CIS project.  I'd love to pick something
> for either Java or FreeBSD.  If it's something that the project
> (FreeBSD) needs that would be great, but I doubt I could get something
> that significant done inside one semester.

How about a more helpful replacement for the "mergemaster" script (in
the language of your choice).  Make it keep track of changes in
distributed config files and merge (and help provide info for manual
merging) the changes into existing customized versions of the files.  If
time (probably so), have a way for distributor to add info to the latest
version (or an update file) so that notes about changes in files (even
to the variable/field-level) will be presented to the user as the tool
processes the file.

Or, probably too big a job, but how about a demo window manager which
demos use of a 1/16 inch border (set off by thin black line?) around the
screen which is always visable and which consists of many
customizable-length, -color, and -divided segments which may be used for
various customizable purposes.  Put mouse over segment (customizable as
to immediate action, delayed action, action with mouse buttons and/or
keys) cause actions (customizable, eg, pop up system or custom menu, pop
up balloon or other help, pop up windows (eg a clock, "top", xosview),
start applications, switch desktops/screens, etc.  Corner segments would
be special as they can be hit without looking.  Come to think of it,
maybe an existing WM can already be made to do much of that (just not
very well, like snapping windows to the inside of the border, etc), but
that wouldn't make a good project.

Design (and implement?) a Wiki so that FreeBSD users can much more
easily contribute to documenting FreeBSD (and related info).  Implement
anti-vandalizing and un-vandalizing features.

Design (and implement demo for?) a new configuration scheme, maybe as simple
as developing a library for parsing standard-format (XML?) config files.
You'd know it would never be used, but it might be interesting.

Create a man page (and/or other file) reader that can be smooth-scrolled
at (mouse?) controllable speeds such that it can be read/scanned while
scrolling at a reasonably fast rate.