Date:      Sun, 01 Dec 2002 12:26:39 -0500
From:      Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Question <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   can't load kernel on 386 system

I've installed a minimal+docs generic system on
500-somethingMB HD, and I'm trying to run it on
a 386, 8Mb RAM computer.
It fails at
     elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
     can't load module '/kernel': input/output error
Because of the small HD, and the fact that the /var
and the /tmp partitions never use over a few hundred
blocks on my Pentium computer, I made them 32Mb each
for the 386, but accepted the defaults for the "/"
and the Swap partitions; the /usr partition got the
remainder of the HD.
Am I seeing a configuration error, a MB error, other?
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Walter