Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:04:22 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Semi off topic

At 10:16 AM 7/30/1999 -0400, Steve Hovey wrote:
>Are there any provisions or programs for freebsd which will allow for port
>redirection?
>
>As in you have box A and box B with a firewall inbetween, and say box C on
>the same side as B..  You want to get to C port 80, but the firewall
>blocks port 80.. the firewall doesnt block port 82..  Is there any
>application/solution for box A to use box B to redirect the ports
>connection to C

Well, you could install SSH on box B and an SSH client on box A and use
SSH's secure port forwarding. For example, I redirect my local port 80, 81,
82, and 443 (a Windows SSH client) to the xxx.xx.x.10:80, xxx.xx.x.19:80,
xxx.xx.x.20:80, and xxx.xx.x.19:443 machines/ports behind the firewall.
Best of all, SSH requires me to authenticate myself, so I'm the only one
who can access the internal web servers.

You could use the other solutions, but you'd have to make sure that only
your IP address gets to have access to box C, and if don't have a static IP
on box A, this could be problematic.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>