Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:35:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with "an" driver - please help!

I'm having problems trying to get the "an" driver working under
FreeBSD 3.4.  I grabbed Bill Paul's driver dated 1999/09/15 from his
web page under www.freebsd.org and installed it according to the
instructions.  I made the needed modifications to other files under
sys as mentioned in the instructions.  Everything compiles just fine
and the card is recognized by pccardd.  Strangely, the yellow light on
the card is on until pccardd finds it and the MAC address is printed.
At that point the yellow light goes off and doesn't come back on until
I ifconfig an0 with an IP address.

Once I configure an IP address, I can then do:

	ancontrol -i an0 -o 1
	ancontrol -i an0 -n mj
("mj" is my home network name)

and both light blink every now and then (neither one stays on
constantly, however).

My setup is that I have a Cabletron RoamAbout base station with a
Orinoco 11Mb Gold card installed.  I have configured an encryption key
but I also set it up to allow systems with no encryption.  I know that
this works because my Cabletron 2Mb unencrypted card works just
perfectly.  The Aironet card I'm using is the Aironet PC4800.  I've
seen lots of mention of the Aironet 340 but I can't seem to find any
real difference between these two cards.  Maybe I need the other one
instead?

Once I do the configuration above, I can run "tcpdump -n -i an0" and
see packets arriving.  I can see other systems sending ARP packets
asking for my MAC address and I can see that my system replies, but
the replies never reach the wired ethernet side.  Doing "ancontrol -i
an0 -C actually shows that it's "synced associated" and shows the MAC
address of the base station.

I've been seeing some minor fixes to the an0 driver from time to time
and have tried patching in any changes which are not specific to the
encryption key stuff, but nothing makes a difference.

What's going on?  I'm at a loss.  I have written to Bill Paul quite a
few times and not received any response.  Any help anyone can give would
be GREATLY appreciated!

/raj