Date:      09 May 2002 10:08:41 -0400
From:      Ray Seals <rseals@vdsi.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oronico Gold card with FreeBSD4.5 laptop

Philip,

I have a Toshiba Laptop with a D-Link wireless nic and D-Link WAP-11
access point.  When I start my laptop I see the card.  I login then I
run this small script to start my card.  I know this can be automated
but since I change networks a lot I do it manually.  I hope this helps:

# wireless Network at Home

# Enable the network card
ifconfig wi0 up

# Give it my access point SSID
wicontrol -i wi0 -q HOME

# Bind an IP to the nic
ifconfig wi0 10.0.2.59 255.255.255.0

# Add my default route in
route add -net 0.0.0.0 10.0.2.1

Check out the man page on wicontrol for additional information.
Wicontrol will also tell you if it connects to your access point or not.

Ray Seals