Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:44:32 -0400
From:      Leinier Cruz Salfran <salfrancl.listas@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: there is a way to avoid strict libraries linking?

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Leinier Cruz Salfran
> <salfrancl.listas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hello all fbsd devs
>>
>> i want to know if there is a possibility to avoid current strict
>> libraries linking .. i will explain myself
>>
>> for example .. i have installed 'gtk' (2.18) that depends on library
>> 'libpng.so.5' (png) .. and i will upgrade 'png' port to a superior
>> version that install the library 'libpng.so.6' BUUUTTTT 'gtk' will not
>> be upgraded, so it will still depending on 'libpng.so.5' .. so here is
>> my question: there is a way to avoid this?????? i means that 'gtk'
>> load 'libpng.so' (that is a symbolic link to 'libpng.so.6') instead of
>> 'libpng.so.5' at runtime
>>

> The reason the library version is bumped is to avoid loading
> libpng.so.6 into a process looking for libpng.so.5. If you want to try
> it, you can use /etc/libmap.conf to map requests for libpng.so.5 into
> libpng.so.6 (and watch your apps crash instead of not running).
>

> Tom

hello tom

we should keep in mind that new versions of libraries are built with
previous versions compatibility in order to avoid 'crashing' .. i put
the 'gtk' example because i upgrade my system yesterday and I got that
situation .. I started to imagine what could happen if I restart 'gdm'
at that moment .. and I think that 'gdm' will not start because 'gtk'
will not find 'libpng.so.5' .. so I do the following: create a
symbolic link: 'libpng.so.5' -> 'libpng.so.6' .. restart 'gdm' and all
was fine

what do you think about that

ps: clic in 'reply to all' in order to reply to 'freebsd-hacker' list
too, please (thanks)