Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 18:30:01 -0700
From:      gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   bin/598: csh 'imported path' warning makes it unusable with vi

>Number:         598
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       csh 'imported path' warning makes it unusable with vi
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-19950603 i386
>Environment:
	FreeBSD 2.0.5

	While csh's warning 'warning:  imported path contains
	relative components' is accurate (when you su to root
	and inherit a path containing '.' as the last component,
	and yes, I'll grant this has security problems, but many
	package makefiles won't work without it, and you have to be
	root to install), it cripples use of vi due to the message
	getting into filename expansions and edit buffers.

	How about making this warning apply only to INTERACTIVE shells?
	If that's a bad idea, how about turning the warning into a
	fatal error (it might as well be anyway, for all the work
	you can get done using it).

>How-To-Repeat:
	su to root
	set PATH to something including "." at the end.
	setenv SHELL /bin/csh
	Invoke vi.
	Attempt a ":e ~/.login"
	Get usage message, because expanded filename starts with "Warning:
	imported path"