Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:24:52 -0400
From:      cfuhrman@iwaynet.net
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Switching from LGPL to ??? License

Howdy,

Can't really think of a better forum to ask this so I thought I'd give this one
a shot.

I'm the author of a perl module used for printing to remote printers.  Within
the next month or so, I'm planning on giving it a fairly complete overhaul to
make it easier to maintain.  Another major change that I'm planning on
undertaking is to release it under a different license.

Right now, the latest version has been released under the LGPL.  Due to
philosophical/political issues I have with the GPL/LGPL I have decided it would
be best change the license the perl module is distributed under.  Interested
parties as to why I decided to do this can reference the recent fiasco w/ glibc:

http://news.linuxprogramming.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-16-002-06-LT

Giving credit where credit is due, a number of arguments made by Brett Glass
have also influenced me in the past few months.

So, this brings me to two questions:

1) Which license to distributed the module under: the Perl Artistic License or
the BSD one.

2) What is the best means of changing the license?  Basically strip out the LGPL
and replace it?

I appreciate any input into this.

Cheers!

 - Chris Fuhrman