Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:33:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Subject:   Re: ccc vs. libtool

Andrew Gallatin writes:

 > I think this should work for you.
 >
 > It would be quite cool if  you could get imake (and, hence, XFree86)
 > building.

I should have been more specific and mentioned that Imake does built,
it just does not work properly.  When I build imake with ccc,
it pukes when parsing the follwing line of FreeBSD.cf:

422	 #define IncludeMakefile(file) @@# dependencies are in .depend

It tells me:

./config/imake/imake -I./config/cf  -s xmakefile -DTOPDIR=. -DCURDIR=.
In file included from config/cf/Imake.tmpl:90,
                 from Imakefile.c:9:
config/cf/FreeBSD.cf:422: `#' operator should be followed by a macro argument name
./config/imake/imake: Exit code 1.
  Stop.
*** Error code 1

If I "fix" this and delete this line, it goes on to puke a
little later on the Imakefile:

In file included from config/cf/Imake.tmpl:1727,
                 from Imakefile.c:9:
config/makedepend/Imakefile:48: unterminated string or character constant
config/makedepend/Imakefile:21: possible real start of unterminated constant
config/makedepend/Imakefile:19: unterminated `#if' conditional

When imake is built with gcc, this does not happen.  I've not had a
chance to try it on a linux box for comparision.  This is something
of a show-stopper, since X insists on rebuilding imake at the drop
of a hat.

Drew