Date:      Mon, 1 May 95 12:19:44 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        obrien@leonardo.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compress dumps?

> In my 10+ years in computing, I have >once< had a chance to restore
> from a damaged media which were still partially readable.
>
> Comparing that to how many tapes I've written, streams based compression
> is a very low risk thing to do to save money.
>
> How about this observation btw:
>
> If I can compress at least 3:1, I can make two copies, and still save
> 33% on media... (Assuming you fill them of course).

Assuming you don't look at those tapes in a months time and say "hey! I
don't need to buy more tapes!  I'll just use these redunant tapes...".

I've found that the problem with mirroring disks is that when you
need more space, the mirroring goes out the window.  If you can
exercise restraint, a backup-backup is a perfectly acceptable way
of eliminating the munged-compressed-tape risk altogether.

Now if only I can convince you to rent a safety-deposit box and
put your backup duplicates there...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---