Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:14:21 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Andrey Beresovsky <and@rsu.ru>, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Subject:   Re: Need to override KRNLCONFDIR variable in command line of mak

John Baldwin wrote:
> I build a custom release at work that uses the a custom kernel by
> default on 4.x and make use of LOCAL_PATCHES and KERNELS to accomplish
> what I need.  I do think I have a local patch that allows you to
> specify the kernel config for the "default" kernel, but that it
> doesn't apply to 5.x because 5.x does things differently in that
> area.  5.x doesn't install a kernel.GENERIC anymore though, which is
> a bit disturbing.

I have a local 4.x patch, as well.

The 5.x stuff screwed up the world when sysinstall was moved,
and it's only gotten worse, in that area.

The LOCAL_PATCHES and KERNELS, as you've noted by having a
local patch (8-)), isn't really sufficient.  I don't *WANT*
the thing to be named "GENERIC", and even if I wanted that,
it's a practical impossibility, because my kernel source tree
is checked out seperately from the res of the sources, which
are checked out from the FreeBSD CVS tree.

The reason is that the kernel is imported into a seperate source
tree to support local modifications.

This is a workaround to CVSup not supporting the idea of the
local copy being placed on a vendor branch... effectively, this
means that in order to maintain large local change sets, you
have to checkout a FreeBSD version from CVS, check it into
your own local repository (losing the history as you do this),
and then stabilize it for your application, before making local
modifications (if you can't have a vendor branch in your CVSup'ed
replica: make one of your own).

Basically this means you are well and truly screwed in the build
process, if you want to rebuild, if your patches touch any of the
standard file names, due to the update process when doing an update
and rebuild of the system (you can do it, but expect your cycle
time to go from about 1 hour to about 1.5 days, as everything ends
up getting rebuilt, instead of just the things that change).

-- Terry