Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   I2C/SMBus/LPBB

OK -- I give up....  I'm trying to get the LPBB I2C driver working on my
3.2-stable machine, CVSUP'd earlier today...  I have tried about a zillion
and two different config file combinations, and can not get it to work.
The relevant parts of the config file are:

device          ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7
controller      pcf0    at isa? port? irq 5
controller      iicbb0
controller      smbus0
device          smb0    at smbus?
controller      ppbus0
#device         lpt0    at ppbus?
#device         ppi0    at ppbus?
device          lpbb0   at ppbus?
controller      iicbus0
device          iic0    at iicbus?
device          iicsmb0 at iicbus?

(.....As you can see, I took out the printer driver and the geek port
during this hair-pulling session -- those two devices vanish, but nothing
else appears.)

The dmesg chunks that show up about this are:

ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
pcf0 at irq 5 on isa
pcf0: <PCF8584 I2C bus controller>
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on pcf0 addr 0xaa
iicsmb0: <I2C to SMB bridge> on iicbus0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on iicsmb0
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0
iic0: <I2C general purpose I/O> on iicbus0

It seems to see the PCF8584 just fine, but it refuses to put the parallel
port I2C interface in...  If I remove the "controller pcf0" line, all of
the I2C drivers disappear.

Any ideas?

--Mike