Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:19:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cursing the sky (was: Commerical applications ...)

Uh, my wife has no idea how to use unix.  Whe she logs in, X comes up,
and all she has to do is click a mouse button to connect to the net.  She
starts netscape, pine, etc. from a mouse button.  I also have buttons to
disconnect and shutdown as necessary.

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Keith Leonard wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> I despise Win95 so much that I don't even consider it in my ramblings.
> Almost all my refereces are to win 3.0 and 3.1. I've installed over 150
> systems with 3.1 (standalone machines) and it is quite simple once you
> understand it (which the average person is capable of - especially with
> all the books available). Hell, I just set up a 70 year old retired guy
> and his wife with 3.1 and all I have to do is say (over the phone) just
> click here, then here and type this. TRY THIS WITH X!
>
> Inside of one week he is producing letters setting up databases and
> connecting to the web. If I handed him a FreeBSD (or any other free Unix)
> CD he shoot his machine inside of that week and go off to Tahiti to sun on
> the beach.
>
> No Software is easy to a newbie - it's just that Billy boy promises shit
> and at least delivers half a sack.
>

>  On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Wes Peters wrote:
> > You must be.  After spending two nights trying to get Win$%&(@#95 to
> > recognize a PCI ethernet controller that FreeBSD probes with no
> > problems, I'm ready to take the disk out and hit it with a hammer.  Or
> > better yet, just over that pile of BullBits(tm) with FreeBSD.  Microsoft
> > has, in this as in all things, made a lot of promises they do not live
> > up to.  Plug and play my bloody ass!
>
> Keith
> keithl@wakko.gil.net
> Character is what you are in the dark - John Warfin

Jamie Bowden

Network Administrator, TBI Ltd.