Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 05:12:35 -0700
From:      "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@cdrom.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@cdrom.com>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, rab@pike.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Publishing the FreeBSD Handbook and FAQ

Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> said...
>If you have some amount of manpower, it would be prudent to go through
>the entire handbook and 'take notes' of what needs to be changed.
>
>Ideally, the entire handbook should have a careful editor go through
>and fix it to
>(1) Have the same style throughout (language choices)

Different parts to the book have different styles, some parts are
"folksy" while others are more formal.  But I don't agree that this
is necessarily a "problem" that needs to be fixed.  As long as the
information is technically correct, I don't think it is a big deal
if the style varies from chapter to chapter.

>(2) Have each section organized in a 'build-up' fashion, starting from
>    almost no assumptions about what the user knows (or references to
>    what should have been read before) and building up to the full
>    gory details.
>(3) Be fully marked up in DocBook instead of LinuxDoc.

What is the advantage of DocBook over LinuxDoc?

>(4) Contain relevant illustrations.

Do you have a list of where illustrations are needed?  Is there
a standard way of putting illustrations into an SGML document?

	-bob