Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:23:37 -0500
From:      "Windsor Match Plate and Tool Ltd." <wmptl@mnsi.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp -alias like routing for two NIC's ...

We need a simple solution, as to how to perform a gateway function for
internet access over an ISDN line.
    I am currently using ppp -auto -alias <service-provider>, (with
gateway_enable=YES in /etc/rc.conf), to share a modem connection over an
internal network in my home.
    We wish to build upon this concept, using two network cards; I need to
route internet access to an internal network which does not physically exist
on the internet over a static IP that does.
    What we have:
    -Cisco 1004 ISDN Router to 5port 10BT hub
    -E-Mail/Webserver connected to one IP via hub/router
    -Gateway-2-be server connected to another IP via hub/router
    -both machines running FreeBSD, (one 3.4, other migrating         from
2.2.6->3.4)
    -both machines have internal network access on 10.0.0.255
    -email/webserver has setup as DNS server for internal name
resolving on 'fake' domain
    -ISP hosts DNS for a true domain on the other machine

What we want to be able to do:
    -give selected internal machines, (either by specific IP, or by
subnet), access to internet, similarily to the way in which ppp -
alias works

I have a limited understanding of how BGP routing works, but am unaware of
how to implement a static route to 'non-existant' IP's. I am not opposed to
using a proxy server, but would rather a gateway as we have not the traffic
requirements to consider requiring any caching.
    I have some basic ideas of how to accomplish this, but would like to
hear any suggestions anyone else may offer.

Nathan Vidican
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
unix_usr@fcmail.com / wmptl@mnsi.net