Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:13:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory required to install FreeBSD?

In article <19990730140815.D44874@kilt.nothing-going-on.org>,
Nik Clayton  <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: It certainly used to be 5 MB, some of the documentation says 8 MB, and
: the PR says you now need 12 MB.  I don't have access to a low end machine
: to test this out on, so I'm hoping one of you can let me know.

I have a 486/33 IDE machine. The 3.2 install would not work with
8M, though 2.2.5 did work. 3.2 did work with 16M. The failure
occured after newfs'ing the file systems, right as it tried to
unarchive the bin distribution.

I think sysinstall needs to do a swapon() call at some point; this
would reduce the need for memory during the latter phases of
install.