Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:30:40 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape prob 2.2.6R

Greg Lehey writes:
 > On Tue, 21 April 1998 at 16:14:38 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
 > > Howard Goldstein wrote:
 > >>
 > >> I'm seeing these failures during attempts to read tarred stuff from an
 > >> HP 1533A (surestore) with 'tar t'.  Writes go through OK...
 > >>
 > >> Apr 21 10:52:42 cally /kernel: st0(ahc0:4:0): SCB 0x8 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
 > >> Apr 21 10:52:43 cally /kernel: SEQADDR = 0x5 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 =0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
 > >> Apr 21 10:58:32 cally /kernel: st0(ahc0:4:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x2800 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
 > >
 > > Could be either cabling or...
 > >
 > >> My drive's orange light flashes after it's done this for a number of
 > >> minutes (hardware error?  OEM drive, no manual, all mention of the
 > >> 1533 disappeared from HP's site)
 > >
 > > I think this means it needs the heads cleaning... ;-)
 >
 > All of these symptoms point to excessive read errors.  When did you
 > last clean the drive?  You should do so whenever the LED starts
 > flashing.
 >
 > That's not the only explanation, though.  It could equally well be a
 > problem with the tape.  It's almost impossible to tell the difference
 > except by deduction.

There was one other but less scientific and more hearsay
way....Dejanews reveals a number of instances of this problem that all
point back to a drive flaw, namely a known incompatibility of the
1533A with non-HP 120M tapes.

After about 20 hours of struggling with these (Maxell 120M DDS2) I
dropped in the one 90M tape I had for initial testing and wham, not a
single glitch reading a backup made almost a year ago, and subsequent
read/write cycles on that tape work great.

As an aside I tried many possible cable configs, termination
options to no avail, head cleaning both with tape and careful manual
cleaning.

So it >seems< a *(#%$%# drive+media combo.  Kick me in the head and
call me sally for loss of two days productive work.  arrrgh

(Did HP go downhill after they stopped making the 16C?  I wonder...)

Thank you for your advice and support

[[as an aside does anyone have any thoughts about coercing these 120M
tapes to be treated as 90M tapes?  I wonder if the lower density will
let me get something useful out of this box I bought, or if the
attempt isn't worth persuing]]