Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:43:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
To:        keet@mordor.plig.net (Christiaan Keet)
Cc:        jesper@skriver.dk, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mirror keeps crashes

> Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > I run ftp.dk.freebsd.org, and I have a problem, my mirror keeps crashing,
> > probably due to the wast number of files.
> >
> > Does anybody have a working mirror.conf I can get a copy of? I'm thinking
> > of splitting the mirror in multiple sessions, this way lowering the number
> > of files in each ...
>
> *nod*   I had the same problem initially when I started up ftp4.uk.freebsd.org.
>
> mirror.pl runs out of memory on most sane-spec systems.   I wrote a little
> 'frontend' for mirror.pl that logs onto the remote system, gets a list of
> remote directories under the root dir and creates a local config file for
> mirror to use, treating each remote directory as a seperate package.

There are also a rather good mirror program written in C available;
it fetches files continously instead of doing a complete list to
compare first. It is located at ftp.luth.se:/pub/unix/mirror/spegla-0.92.tar.gz
and is very easy to configure. Actually; a friend of mine wrote it when
we got into trouble with the perl scripts :-)

-- Ragge