Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:25:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AXPpci33 SRM upgrade (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:11:49 +0000
From: Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Subject: Re: AXPpci33 SRM upgrade

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 11:59:31AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 10:47:02AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > >
> > > More specifally, TGA support isn't integrated yet.
> >
> > This was with a VGA card (S3 trio)
>
> *thud* got me....

> > To get the srm update or freebsd install disk booting?
>
> freebsd install.

I tried jumpering the board to load the srm from floppy, which hung with
a blue screen and lashing underscore. (Like everything else)

This along with your suggestion of trying the serial console made the penny
drop.

set console graphics     (duh!)

It would seem that the board came with console serial set, but the srm still
autodetected the keyboard and used graphics. The upgrader, new srm loaded from
floppy, and FreeBSD install disks seem to stictly adhere to the console
setting.

Thanks to everyone for helping me through my stupidity.

--
GeoffB