Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:28:18 -0500
From:      Boris Kochergin <spawk@acm.poly.edu>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org, martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
Subject:   Re: gstat: geom_gettree = -1: No such file or directory

martinko wrote:
> Yes, you're right and now I think I know what may cause this bug and it
> worries me even more -- my FAT32 partition has a funny name but it for
> sure was not like this before:
>
> $ ll /dev/msdosfs/
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  95 Jan  3 09:28 FREEDOS
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 103 Jan  3 09:28 01wb?
>
> Here's the complete output you asked for:
> http://mato.gamato.org/freebsd/aw1n/kern.geom.confxml-8.0
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin
>
> PS: I've just read about some msdosfs issues and I'm very much worried
> that my partition data might be corrupted. :-/

Indeed, my guess is that geom_gettree() is unhappy because something in
src/lib/libgeom/geom_xml2tree.c does not like the unprintable character
in the msdosfs label. I tried tracking down the exact location, but
found the code a bit hard to follow. Anyway, you can try removing
GEOM_LABEL from your kernel, which will remove that msdosfs label from
the XML, which should allow geom_gettree(), and thus gstat, to work. As
for the msdosfs or partition problems, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

-Boris