Date:      Sun, 8 Jan 2012 17:31:24 -0800
From:      Matt Mullins <mokomull@gmail.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ZFS Root Won't Mount - Unknown Filesystem -- SOLVED

Whoops, I missed this message before posting my reply a few minutes ago.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net> wr=
ote:
> Yes, although I've read that 'zfs set mountpoint=3D/ zroot' is acceptable=
 as
> well. =A0I set mine to "/" after trying to import pool with '-o altroot=
=3D/mnt'
> in LiveCD. =A0When mountpoint was "legacy", altroot didn't work right.
> =A0Opinions on "/" vs. "legacy"?

Most of the FreeBSD guides seem to think "legacy" is the way to go,
but I much prefer "/" myself.  The main difference is with "legacy",
one sets a mountpoint option on each filesystem under it (which does,
indeed, undermine the altroot facility), whereas "/" lets the other
filesystems inherit their mountpoint from their path in the zpool.
"/" seems to be a little closer to its Solaris usage, which is still
the majority of the documentation you'll find on ZFS on the internet
(and even in the man pages distributed with FreeBSD).
--
Matt Mullins