Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 07:13:50 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        mnadeau@worldnet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT Help

At 6:27 AM 11/7/95, mnadeau@worldnet.net wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    I've received a so called 'turn key' system as our Internet
>Server. I'm only supposed to supervise the system: Create accounts,
>make backups, transfer HTML files to the server. I'm a beginner in
>UNIX.
>
>   The company that sold  the system told us that they delivered
>the equipement as is and that there work is done.!!! (No documentation!!!)

I'm sorry that company is doing such shoddy work. They should have made
sure that you had adequate support before they sold the system.

When I sell such a system, either I set it up for the customer, or at least
provide a detailed document that helps them get started.

>   The OS is FreeBSD. I've acquired a month ago a CD from
>Walnut Creek called FreeBSD 2.0.5.

A good system. However, the 2.1 release is just around the corner. I
recommend that you place an order for the next CD so that you will have it
as soon as it is released. (The subscription is a good price and assures
that you get releases regularly)

>    I've tried to locate the documentation on the CD and I wasn't
>successful. Is there a book I can buy?

Most of the documentation is in the "man" pages. There is also a sgml
handbook.  EXTENSIVE work has been done in this area for the 2.1 release.

The system configuration files for 2.1 are also a great improvement.
I suggest that you replace the /etc files from 2.0.5 with those from the
upcoming 2.1 release.

Do you have ftp access from some machine? If not I can e-mail you a few
files that will make life a lot easier. In particular, replace /etc/rc and
/etc/sysconfig.
These files are on-line in the tree
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src/etc/
They are also mirrored at various other sites.
 Finland
         + ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/unix/FreeBSD
            Contact: count@nic.funet.fi .

   France
          + ftp://ftp.ibp.fr/pub/FreeBSD
            Contact: Remy.Card@ibp.fr .

   Germany
          + ftp://ftp.fb9dv.uni-duisburg.de/pub/unix/FreeBSD
            Contact: ftp@ftp.fb9dv.uni-duisburg.de .
          + ftp://gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/FreeBSD
            Contact: kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de .
          + ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/freebsd
            Contact: ftp@uni-paderborn.de .
          + ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/bsd/FreeBSD
            Contact: bsd@leo.org .
          + ftp://ftp.tu-dresden.de/pub/soft/unix/bsd/FreeBSD
            Contact: pdsowner@rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de .
and many others.

Hopefully this will help you get started a little better.
Write me personally if I can help.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net