Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:42:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Teslik <teslik@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   subnetting / ifconfig ip allocation problem

Hello,

   I have two boxes - WindowsME and FreeBSD4.4R
   When I set the machines like:

           WindowsME
           ip     xxx.xxx.xxx.91
           subnet 255.255.255.0

           FreeBSD
           ip     xxx.xxx.xxx.92
           subnet 255.255.255.0

    I can access both machines remotely and each machine can ping themselves
and each other.

   When I set the machines like:
           WindowsME
           ip     xxx.xxx.xxx.91
           subnet 255.255.255.252

           FreeBSD
           ip     xxx.xxx.xxx.92
           subnet 255.255.255.252

    I cannot ping each machine and FreeBSD gives me an error from ifconfig that
it cannot allocate the ip address. The FreeBSD machine can't even ping itself
(probably because it can't allocate the ip to begin with). localhost can always
be pinged in both scenarios. This is a two machine closed network.
    This probably exposes some sort of basic misunderstanding on my part, but
can anyone explain why this would happen and how I can fix it? Sorry in advance
for no output, but I can't access the machines from where I am right now.

Thanks,
Alex