Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 03:28:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        jesus@abaforum.es (Jesus Rodriguez)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can i use hosts.deny???

Jesus Rodriguez writes:

> Hi... can i use hosts.allow and hosts.deny in freebsd???

Sure, however, you must install the tcp_wrapper port as follows ..

(as "root")

cd /usr/ports/security/tcp_wrapper
make all install

 .. then edit /etc/inetd.conf, find inetd's pid and "kill -HUP inetd-pid".

Then create /usr/local/etc/hosts.allow and/or /usr/local/etc/hosts.deny

> If i can, wich format i must use for them???

As documented in the man page (hosts_access), both files (in /usr/local/etc)
can be simple like ..

popper: 202.14.234.64/255.255.255.240
nntpd: .scgt.oz.au
nntpd: news@newshost.telstra.net news@fullofruit.aarnet.edu.au

 .. or far more complex, as you might wish.

> I want allow telnet access to some specific machines, but have free the
> rest of services.

This is dependent on both your /etc/inetd.conf and the hosts.* files.
You choose which ones you wish to encapsulate and the permissions that go
along with each service,

	michael