Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:26:41 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian McCann <bjmccann@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ggatec reporting false info / not exiting correct?

--Q6K/XF9FZiHksLwH

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 01:05:22PM -0500, Brian McCann wrote:
+>      Hi all.  I'm working on getting gmirror to work over ggate
+> connections..and it's working well...just trying to break it and make
+> recovery situations.  However, I've discovered what I believe to be a
+> flaw in ggatec.  I had PC1 running ggatec and PC2 running ggated.  PC2
+> was exporting /dev/da1s1d.  I had gmirror on PC1 setup with
+> /dev/da1s1d and /dev/ggate0d.  Was working great.  I then simulated a
+> failure in the network by killing ggated on PC2.  gmirror saw the
+> problem, marked the array accordingly.  I then bought ggated back up
+> on PC2.  To my disappointment, ggatec had apparantly closed once there
+> was a failure (thought it may have tried to reconnect at a given
+> interval or something like NFS).  However, when I ran "ggatec list",
+> it showed "ggate0", and an ls of /dev showed a ggate0 as well....but
+> no ggatec process was running.  It's like when ggatec could not talk
+> to ggated anymore it just gave up and quit, not cleaning up after
+> itself at all...this can't be right...at least....I wouldn't think it
+> to be right.  Is it supposed to work like this (not cleaning up)?  If
+> so, I'm curious as to why.  On a side note, it would be awesome if
+> ggatec COULD have a background option...where if it can't contact the
+> ggated host to wait and try again after a certain time.

And if you run:

	# ggatec attach -u 0 ...

Does it work again? It should.

--=20