Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:09:59 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "'Tony Rini - System Administrator'" <tony@thegrid.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Off Topic Solaris question

[snip]

> I work with tons of servers. I inherited a motley collection of OS's,
> platforms, etc.

	Sounds like my last job... give a kid the letters MCSE, a budget and no
responsibility, and see what he comes up with... definately not a work of
art.

> I have experimented with multiple combinations. I have
> to give Sun my respect for the tight integration of OS and
> hardware. The
> SCSI bus architecture and multiple RISC processors is IMHO far better
> than anything I've seen Intel's camp produce.

	Absolutely.  They knew what they were doing... of course, the majority of
the engineering that went into the SPARC platform was done about 10 years
ago, and just been updated for performance over the years.  It's not like
the Intel architecture where we've seen ISA, EISA, MCA, VLB and PCI all
within the past 10 years.

> Of course I am only
> speaking of the SPARC platform. To try to run anything but Solaris (or
> Sun OS) on a SPARC is just asking for headaches. Trying to run Solaris
> on x86 will yield similar results.

	It's one of those cases where opposites don't attract.  There's just
something unnatural about running something aside from Solaris on a SPARC
box.

[snip]

> Sun
> hardware, while being extrememly expensive, is also extremely
> reliable.

	Amen to that.  I've got a couple of Sparc2s that were built back in the
first half of 91 that are still trucking along without a whimper.  You'd be
hard pressed to see an Intel box from the same era still doing useful work
without major upgrades.

[snip]

> Both serve their purposes very well. If you must learn Solaris do
> yourself a favor and learn it on a Sparc. The differences are just too
> great.

	There aren't that many major differences from one to the other, as far as
the OS goes.  It's not the OS's fault that x86 hardware isn't as accepting
and isn't quite as well supported as SPARC hardware.  The day that SUN
starts building x86 machines en masse is the day that you'll see that
happen.

--- Andy