Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:15:20 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Subject:   Re: Alright, you jdk14 geeks...

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 03:10 pm, John <john@starfire.mn.org> wrote:
> I finally got around my problems by manually deinstalling and
> reinstalling all the packages that linux_base-8 depended upon.
>
> I have done a make install on linx_base-8 and linux-sun-jdk14
> on the NFS server (I gave up trying to do it over NFS, though
> that may not have been the problem).
>
> My poor 200Mhz machine has now been crunching for a couple of
> HOURS on java/jdk14 (I'm glad this isn't the machine I want
> to run it on!), but now I'm wondering...

On a 200MHz box, it's going to take a very long time. I'm not really
sure how long, but likely days. (IIRC it takes over an hour or maybe
two on my 2GHz Athlon XP, but I haven't timed it and it's been a
while). I never build anything that large on a machine like that - I
use a fast machine to build and then mount /usr/ports from the build
machine on the install machine for the installation, but I understand
that this isn't always an option.

> Once it is BUILT on the NFS system - will I be able to INSTALL
> it on my clients?  Has anyone tried anything like this?  Is
> this OK with the license agreement?

As far as the licenses, nobody here can give you the kind of legal
advice you can get from a lawyer, but Sun has severely restricted
distribution of JDK, if that gives you a place to start. Talk with your
laywer for advice regarding your particular circumstance.

- jt