Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:55:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        cdillon@tri-lakes.net (Chris Dillon)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

> On 07-Oct-97 Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> >Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net> writes:
> >I guess we could do the following:
> >
> >Before release:
> >2.2 (9710061501)
> >
> >At release:
> >2.2.0 (RELEASE)
> >
> >After release:
> >2.2.0 (9710061703)
> >
> >Another Release:
> >2.2.2 (RELEASE)
> >
> >And then:
> >2.2.2 (9710061905)
> >
> >That way, anything other than a release would have a timestamp and the
> >number of the previous release from which it was derived.

As someone pointed out, this still doesn't make clear the distinction of a
SUP against 2.2-CURRENT and 2.2-STABLE (something my earlier suggestion
also failed to do).

I'll re-suggest an alpha-numeric counter instead of date/time, both for
economy (fewer characters) and to avoid debate about time zones and
daylight savings.  But I'd add a character that denotes which CVS tag
was used to retrieve the sources.  Obvious characters would be 'C' (for
current), 'R' (for release) and 'S' (for stable).  The other 23
characters could (and should) be assigned to any other tags accessable
to non-core team members.

So, we'd see something like this:

2.2-CAB
2.2-SCD
2.2.5-R

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com