Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:19:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Schmitt <martin@schmitt.li>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Copying the 4-CD set

On 04-Feb-00 Martin Schmitt wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> What CDs from the set may be legaly copied? I´m pretty certain about the
> first one, since it can freely be downloaded as an image, but what about
> the others? Are there any restrictions?
>
> The freesbd.org site doesn´t talk about that subject at all.

I'm not sure that any of them can be legally copied.  While the distribution
of FreeBSD itself is not restricted, the actual layout of the WC CDROM's is
copyright Walnut Creek. so I don't think any of them can be legally copied.
I would just give people a URL to the disk1 ISO that is distributed on the ftp
mirrors.  If you roll your own release (via 'make release') you will end up with
directories for CD's 1 and 2, minus the packages and the extra tools such as
os-bs, view, etc.  Those extra parts (os-bs, all the packages and everything on
CD's 3 and 4) are work done solely by WC and are what makes their CD's unique,
and that is why the CD's are copyrighted by WC.  However, I'm not a big expert
on this, and I would suggest asking someone who works at WC for more information.