Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:59:42 GMT
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell Latitude CPx, pccard, X & apm

On the whole this machine works very nicely with FreeBSD apart from
two niggles:

(1) the pccard system seems rather inept at allocating interrupts; it
    likes to choose irq3 first (which was sio1 until I disabled that
    in the BIOS so that I could use my ethernet card) and then it
    chooses irq5 which is
        pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1998) at 8.0 irq 5
    i.e. both these choices lead to IRQ conflicts! The free IRQs are
    8, 13, and 15.

(2) the various bits of BIOS magic (dropping into setup and the APM
    functionality) only work in text mode, not in X. The whole machine
    seems to lock *hard* when attempting to enter the BIOS from X, to
    the extent that I have to unplug the AC power and the batteries in
    order to recover control.

    (The ATI Mach64 X server also has a tendency to get stuck in a
    less severe fashion (it loops but the rest of the machine is OK)
    if I enable the power saving functionality but that could be
    because it is a work-in-progress according to the README.)

My BIOS version (according to the setup screen) is A05; Dell's web
site has version A07 for download but it's in some freaky
Windows-specific format that I can't extract; if anyone can provide me
with the extracted floppy image I would be grateful.

Tony (not used Windows since 1999!).
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
375 gravity's pull when your cavity's full