Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 00:43:29 -0500
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   db 1.85

I've been experiencing some interesting problems with db 1.85,
on FreeBSD 2.2.8.  We think there are some race conditions
occuring.

Of the people I've spoken with, they suggested there was a known
bug (bugs?) in 1.85 that could cause these problems.   So, I compared
the version of db.c with FreeBSD-2.2.8 and FreeBSD-3.3-STABLE, and
they are the same.

In our instance, we are running sendmail-8.9.3.  Using another program that
writes to a hash db that sendmail accesses, we've run into core dumps,
timeouts, etc.   I understand that sendmail-8.9.3 also has (had?) a problem
with keeping files open too long, etc.

I ran gdb on a *.core file that was generated recently, and the last call:

 >#3  0x1d9e in expire () at rpc.dracd.c:347
 >347                 dbp->del(dbp, &key, R_CURSOR);

to which the author responded (and I hope he doesn't mind my quoting him):

This is the lowest-level function call within DRAC.  The earlier ones
must be within the db library, which must have been compiled without
symbols included.  So, the Bus error occurs within the db library
code.  It could be a bug in the db library, or could be a result of
unexpected data passed to it.
<<<<<<<<

That's the best debugging info I can thus far provide (not being a kernel
hacker or
coder myself).

I'm wondering if someone else has seen this problem and if there is a fix
or solution?

Will FreeBSD-4.x be DB2 based?

Thanks!

_F