Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 21:40:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charlie Root <root@oitunix.oit.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports directory structure

Recently there has been some discussion on other lists about a
"2-level port" system. This just got me thinking about the
hierarchical structure of the ports tree. One wonders, for
example, why have a directory called "patches" containing files
called "patch-aa", "patch-ab", etc? Seems redundant. ANyway, I
thought I'd post some quick results here, hoping they're not too
bogus and look forward to being edified, but not too severely
flamed, in return.

First, I have an up-to-date cvs repository for ports.

$ time cvs co ports

real    30m44.419s
user    0m42.624s
sys     2m26.730s

$ du -sk ports
71875

The size discrepency that arose in the other postings may just be
the result of the CVS directories.

$ find ports -name CVS | xargs rm -Rf

$ du -sk ports
38731

Then, I wanted to get rid of some of the hierarchical structure,
so from the ports directory I did

$ mmv "*/*/*/*" =1/=2/=4

It appeared from browsing around that I got the results I wanted.
I may have lost some files, since mmv asked me about overwriting
existing Makefiles. So here's where I get concerned about
bogosity, but I don't think it's too bad. Following that, I just
relied on rmdir's refusal to remove empty directories

$ find ports -type d | xargs rmdir

Now, for example, instead of having this:

$ ls ports/mail/mutt
Makefile      files           patches         pkg

I have this:

COMMENT         PLIST           patch-01        patch-04
patch-08
DESCR           PLIST.htmlfiles patch-02        patch-05
patch-doc-ref
Makefile        md5             patch-03        patch-06
ru.gmo.u

And,

$ du -sk ports
32773

Then I imported this less structured ports tree and checked it
out.

$ time cvs co newports
real    13m31.740s
user    0m35.417s
sys     1m16.488s

$ du -sk newports
42068

So, just simplifying the structure would seem to give us a
smaller, "faster" ports tree.

I don't consider any of this particularly earth-shattering.
Perhaps there are reasons for the additional directory structure.
Perhaps it's just aesthetic. I was just wondering.

Thanks,

Greg