Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:37:02 -0800
From:      Mahlon <mahlon-dated-1015814223.a59def@martini.nu>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <freebsdruns@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Andreas Fiedler <mail@computerservice-fiedler.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: $ character in user names

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002, Paul C. Boyle wrote:
> On March 4, 2002 05:35 pm, you wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to add a user with a name ending in $ for adding machines to a Samba
> > smbpass file (domain setup).
> >
> > Adduser and pw both reject illegal characters like $. Is there a
> > possibility to manually override that behaviour?
> >

> try puting a \ in front of the $ character

Backquoting it won't help, the problem is that pw doesn't allow the
'$' character for usernames at all.

If this is for a samba PDC, and you want automatic joining of new
machines to the domain, manually editing vipw won't help you either,
Andrew.

The solution is to patch pw to allow $, which fortunately is so
trivial I'll just describe it instead of sending a diff.

% cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/pw

Edit line 1198 of pw_user.c.  Remove the only '$' character from the line.

% make && make install

Should work dandy after that.

Mahlon E. Smith                          jabber id: mahlon@chat.martini.nu
http://www.martini.nu/                 get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp@martini.nu
    Only in America... do they have drive up ATM machines with braille
                                lettering.