Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 14:58:44 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup on recent -CURRENT

Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> (My original question should have gone out last Thursday but had
> been stuck in a mail queue since.)
>
> Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com> wrote:
>
> > > TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection closed
> >
> > Which host are you pilling from? I am slurping things out of
> > cvsup.uk.freebsd.org and see the same messages.
>
> The problem was most apparent with cvsup.uk.openbsd.org, which is
> probably the same machine. It was less severe with cvsup.pasta.cs.uit.no,
> and didn't occur at all with cvsup3.de.freebsd.org and for localhost
> connections.
>
> Disabling newreno
>
>   sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.newreno=0
>
> immediately fixed the problem, so I guess we have the culprit there.

Yes, there is a known bug in the newreno code.  It was committed
prematurely (before Jayanth was ready). Jayanth has fixed the problem and
is doing some serious testing before committing a fix and reactivating it.

The newreno sysctl defaults to off for the time being and has for a few
days.

Cheers,
-Peter