Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:09:18 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Marc Fonvieille <fonvi@easynet.fr>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE, Netgear FA410TXC, device timeout

No.  Newer versions of this card are subtly different from older ones.
I _think_ the problem is that the card has a problem negotiating speed
and duplex settings - it will sit indefinitely and not be able to
successfully negotiate speed, and until it does that, I suspect that
the driver won't do anything useful with it.

After I bought this card and had the same problem with it, I did a
web search and found mention of a guy who was running Linux and
also noticed that it wouldn't autonegotiate; he posted a pointer to
a program to set the card up so it would work.  I cannot get this
card to work even with the same IO and IRQ settings that it works with
under either Windows or Linux, so it's not apparently an IO or IRQ
conflict at all.  The linux program mentioned is at
http://www.eh3.com/fa_select.c .

In message <200006171835.LAA00874@mass.osd.bsdi.com>, Mike Smith wrote:
}
} Either you have cable issues, or you're using an interrupt that's not
} free.  Use a different interrupt.
}
} > I also have this problem.
} >
} > I modified if_ed.c to have correct probe (good mac address) but i can't
} > use this card for networking (device timeout...) :(((
} >
} > I bought this card cause i saw it in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, but i
} > think i made a mistake...
} >
} > If someone could find a solution, it will be great.
} >
} > Marc

--
   Jon Hamilton