Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:07:01 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Jeff Yeo" <j.yeo@attcanada.net>
Cc:        "FBSDQuestions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Slow routing table display

--==_Exmh_-1497264351P

If memory serves me right, "Jeff Yeo" wrote:
> I'm running FBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE on a machine with two
> Ethernet cards.  One card is on a private net, the other I've
> used Wide-DHCP to configure the interface to my ISP.
>
> I'm not running routed.  I've compiled the kernel with option
> IPFIREWALL, gateway is enabled, and the firewall is enabled
> with the type set to "open".
>
> When I run
>
> #netstat -r
>
> I get the output header, but it takes several minutes for
> any routing info to be displayed.  Also, network traffic seems
> to be generated before the route info comes up.
>
> I would have expected the routing tables to be calculated when
> the interfaces are set up.  Is this normal?  What is the traffic for?

netstat normally tries to convert the IP addresses stored in the routing table
to hostnames.  I'd bet the network traffic you're seeing is the resulting
nameserver queries, but the fact that it's taking "several minutes" is a
possible indication that something's wrong with either your or your ISP's DNS
setup.  It'd take more details, such as a transcript and a resolv.conf file,
(or someone a little more familiar with such matters) to troubleshoot this
further.

In the meantime, try "netstat -rn" to bypass the name lookup.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1497264351P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNui9FKjOOi0j7CY9AQE/QgP+N132s4DkNkAID+71nWFW6YfYlMONyKoy
qP4CuKZRWXEUMruNXgb4Dmfvt3N+3MtQhzHguqc+C5XOrBAgrri64UGthZUg4F7o
6in0GZvUTg4wgnyYX6SXAZNRTYCysorV0RhiXLg/8EPMrYlXSJCDNK8Q3h05PpSC
IS4O3ygfqUw=
=J9Zp
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1497264351P--