Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:03:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        danp@danp.net (Dan Peterson)
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

> > But with BIND, you the user can fix them.  You can do that with DJBDNS, too,
> > but you can't share your fixes with anyone else.
>
> http://www.djbdns.org

Unfortunately, I still can't sell my company, if I patch DJBDNS, and
my company relies upon it, since I will be in violation of the license.

> > Dynamic DNS?
>
> I can't say I've ever used this. Sounds like another BIND klugde, though. It
> would probably be easier to write a simple script to edit your data file and
> rebuild data.cdb. RTFM at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/tinydns-data.html .

DNSUPDAT, which is the proper name of the facility, allows you to
make updates to zone data in the primary, without taking the server
down, and without an outage while the server reloads its file.

This can be used to make long TTL modifications to zone files,
permanent changes to machine configurations within the zone.  It
is, however, most useful for dialup devices which need short TTL
entries during the period of time which they are transiently
connected.  This is particularly useful for permitting a single
relay policy for email (most dialup machines are blocked from
direct mail into hosts controlled by sane administrators), and is
also useful for "tickled" devices.  A "tickled" device is one you
call, it sees the ringing, and it calls in to establish a connection.
It then makes a DNS entry with its dynamically assigned IP address,
which permits you to dial in to get IP connectivity on a local
number, and remotely access the dialup machine by name; without this,
there's no way to know the IP address of the dynamic assignment.

This facility is also useful for assigning DHCP lease names, and
names based on RADIUS accounting records.  I personally don't use
this, since I think that machines should do their own stateless
autoconfiguration, and DCHP should die.  I don't use the RADIUS
accounting records because I don't control a RADIUS server these
days.

> > DNSSEC?
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/forgery.html

This is substantially incorrect.  His reading is based on trusting
an exterior zone on the basis of trusting a signature authority;
if, on thge other hand, you want to establish your own security
associations internally, perhaps going so far as to establish
exterior associations with other companies for whom you have a
record of their public keys, you can do so.

Also, it is out of date: NSI has stated an intent to start signing,
as soon as the RFC goes standard.

Meanwhile, there's still the license.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org