Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 16:38:12 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Firewall:  ipfw? ipfilter? dhcp lease?

Both ipf and ipfw are roughly equivalent, and each one has its strenghts and
weaknesses. For me, they are way better (better syntax, better features,
easier to configure) than IP chains.

I am using IP Filter, because it suits my particular needs better.
I use IPfilter instead of ipfw because:

1. compatibility with other OS (solaris, other bsd)
2. I like the stateful inspection features of ipf better.
3. Rule grouping. You can make the rules tree shaped instead of linear,
   speeding up the rule matching.
4. I prefer ipnat over natd.

On the other hand with ipfw you can:

1. Use a traffic shaper (dummynet).
2. Select where you want to NAT (at the beginning, at the end, somewhere in
   between)

You can even use them both at the same time (I use ipf for NAT/filtering
and ipfw for dummynet).

The ipf howto is at http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.txt
The ipfw howto is at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ipfw.html

My advice is try them both, and pick the one that fits your needs better.

Hope this helps