Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:52:43 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Suo-Anttila" <jps@funeralexchange.com>
To:        "Alex" <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: : hiding OS name

Just because the firewall is OpenBSD do NOT make it anymore secure then a
well tuned and hardened FreeBSD box. The box is only as secure as the
administrator maintaining it.

One way to hide your OS i can see after you have found a way to hide it from
all the services you run on the servers would be to place as  bridged
ipf/ipfw firewall in front of them all and then run a black hole on it and
drop all spoofed packets along with a half dozen other known types of scans.
This way if your firewall is scanned the packets will be silently dropped to
the floor and left for dead and the machines behind it should not have ever
been touched by it. Also one final note the FreeBSD packet switching fairies
work much faster for less pay and they are also very easily annoyed.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/funnies.html

Thanks

Jeremy Suo-Anttila
jps@funeralexchange.com